Can we say craft fail???
This beanie was so quick and easy to put together. The Creative Maven did a great job with her tutorial.
I used some heavier knit to make the hat--and it was still too hot and my Jilli Bean did not want to wear it...some day the weather will cool off.
I decided to be brave and bleach the letter "J" on the hat (my first experience doing this). Cute...right? My craft began to fail immediately.
Problem #1 Instead of using a freezer paper stencil, I used some opaque plastic for making patterns and stuff. The bleach worked...but it continued to bleed outward.
Problem #2 When you bleach black...you get orange. I know this! I cringe every time my husband gets bleach on his black work pants. For some reason I had in my mind that it would bleach to white. I'm going to blame this one on mommy brain.
Problem #3 I then decided to fix it by using black acrylic paint with textile medium to paint over the "J". It worked great! Then I ironed on a flower stencil...uh, I had problems ironing it on since it the hat was already sewn together and the design I cut out was going to wrap around a little.
Problem #4 I ended up painting the flower white--blah!
Needless to say, the hat is still able to be salvaged with a little more work...but it was so easy to make I'm going to scrap it and make another! This time I will not mess it up!LOL!